Friday 21 January 2011

Project 4.

Revisiting the end of project 3:
My idea developed into rather a conceptual one. I ended up producing a collection of items that symbolise 'my london' against 'london'.
I used the 1960's suitcase as it was the perfect size and transportable. I filled the top section with the items I had collected, i.e. train tickets, cigarette butts, rubbish, and photographs I took on my daily route to college.
The bottom section was then filled with jars, all painted white. I did lots of research to discover new areas of London that I have never seen before and attractions that I would like to one day experience.
After finding out the postcodes for these places of interest, I placed one postcode into each jar and wrote on the top of it "Chinatown" etc. The reason I painted them white was to symbolise that fact that I have no opinion on the areas and that as it stands they are all unidentified and on the same level in my mind.
Once visiting the places, it was suggested at crit that I unscrew the lid from the jars. I like that idea.
I felt that project 3 went well considering how little time I had to come up with and then execute the idea.

Howeverrrr, project 4 is going even better. (i think so anyway.)
I have been looking into different cultures and experimenting with drawing, collaging and making maqettes to develop ideas. After spending much time looking at the vast diversity of cultures in London City, I decided to base a very abstract sculpture upon it. I am going to spend the next week creating a piece of artwork that reflects the intertwining cultures found in London.

No comments:

Post a Comment