Monday 4 October 2010

Blog. Pt.4

Monday- First day of Vis Com complete, check.
After being paired up we were given a single word each. Mine was 'Fork'. My partners was 'Window'.
We began by working independently- drawing anything we could think of that spun off our given word.
I began by drawing different types of forks into my sketchbook, then as each page was turned my ideas began to expand and flow. I drew sketches of guy fawkes- leading to fireworks. I drew a fork leading to a knife, leading to death, leading to the grim reaper. I drew sharp shapes, such as a pin, a party hat etc and developed the idea of spiky shapes, such as a heart rate monitor pattern. This was symbolic of the fork shape.
We were then asked to link our ideas with our partners. As the words 'fork' and 'window' have no connection what so ever, we had a challenge on our hands!
I particularly liked the idea my partner had come up with of 'window in time' and she particularly liked my idea of a 'fork in the road'. After sketching out more ideas that popped into our heads, we were both drawn to the idea of a shape growing and taking off in different directions, forking outwards and onwards. The drawings began to look tree-like, and even vein-like. It brought both of our ideas together as it links with the idea of time, whereby the image develops, and the pathways, where the kind of structure takes shape.
The idea of veins was particularly strong as it shows the skin being translucent and 'window-like' as well as portraying the idea of each one forking off into a different direction.






This is a photo I took at lunchtime- Links in with the word 'fork' quite nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment