Tuesday 12 October 2010

Blog. Pt 5.

SO.... Week two of VisCom. Is it going well? Am I enjoying it? ... Well, yes...and no.
As I spoke about in the previous blog, project one went quite well.
Project two, also went quite well. We had to develop ideas of whatever subject/story we wanted and present these ideas as images within our sketchbooks.
At first I found this fairly challenging, because wrongly I thought It was vital to come up with a story-line before creating the actual story... And I am definitely no author.
After a chat with the lovely Fiona, I realised that I was going about this topic in a much more difficult way than necessary. So, from then on, I just went for it and took each page as it came, working quickly through my sketchbook, not over-thinking things and letting my ideas flow without forcing a narrative.
I stuck things in, reversed images, used carbon paper, mono printing, fine-liners, newspaper. etc, keeping the colours all monochrome throughout (this was actually unintentional but turned out for the best..).
Then, last Friday, it was time for the dreaded crits. In preparation for this I had worked hard at home to come up with a final set of images of which I was to present on the wall. I created these images using an ancient slide machine, ancient slides and a not so ancient camera. After projecting the 50 year old images onto an A1 sheet, I began to draw directly onto the paper using a thick marker pen. I drew the outlines of the images from the slides and then shifted them and worked with new slides- eventually creating a very muddled up looking work of art that was documented gradually through photography.
My whole idea throughout the project was 'defacing people'. This wasn't planned, but just happened. I realised as I flicked through my sketchbook that a pattern was occurring. I had in some way distorted the face of almost every figurative drawing that I created without even noticing. So anyway, quite neatly, my final outcome corresponded with my sketchbook ideas fantastically.
So... Great week really......
But.
WAS IT ALL A FLUKE?
This is the question I have been asking myself ever since we moved onto this horrendousss 3rd project. 'Audience'. It is causing me far to much stress and heartache than it should be, that's for sure.
A very difficult concept to grasp I have found. And I think that most of my peers will agree...
Although the brief has been written very well, it sends out a completely different message to what the teachers do?
Apparently... according to the brief... we have to come up with ANY sender and ANY receiver. Well false. All of our teachers have pushed US to be the senders as it will then be more personal. Fair enough I guess.
Anyway, as I am still getting to grips with the concept (this is like 4 days into the project..) I will wait and see where my quite frankly, pathetic ideas take me before broadcasting it over the Internet.

Ps. Went to an exhibition with Steph yesterday called Art London. It was fantastic and has reallllyyy inspired me to get the oils, easels and paintbrushes out again! One day I want to be able to sell my work for £38,000 a pop please?

No comments:

Post a Comment