Wednesday 15 September 2010

Fashion/Textiles- Rotation 1.

It is Wednesday 15th of September 15:15. How odd.
I have been at Chelsea for a week and a half now and already feel very comfortable in my new surroundings.
We are coming to the end of our fashion/textiles rotation and I have to say, It is far from what I expected. No clothes making or shoe design was existent and much to my surprise I have enjoyed it quite a bit!
We began the rotation by filling our books with ghastly looking drawings (not looking, continuous line etc.) To my relief everyone elses sketchbook looked as ugly as mine allowing me to realise that this course isn't about creating fancy paintings or precise drawings- it is instead, all about experimentation.
Once I had grasped this concept, the work I was producing began to feel much more natural and I started to feel more confident, allowing my ideas to grow and own experimentation take place.
Our next task was to use the photos we had taken of an object expanding or compressing (the title of the project) and cut into them to create 3D objects from 2D images. We were told that 'less is more' and I completely agree!
Today I visited the Edweard Muybridge exhibition at the Tate Britain. His photographs were extremely delicate and I found it interesting how he often told stories of movement through his artwork.
I was able to relate the idea of 'compress and expand' to Muybridge's photographs. For example, a series of four pictures depicting the building process of the United States Appraisers Building. These images were taken over a series of years and show the idea of expansion, as the building grows in size and aesthetic value.
There was also a series of photographs which captured an American Eagle flying. This again, explores the idea of compress and expand as the wings of the bird open and close.

I think that is all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment